This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Giving Quests over the network/internet

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM
I want to give my boyfriend quests to do housework, but it seems a little silly to steal his computer to set up quests for him, especially when I'm sat at my own computer at the time. (And no, I can't leave it to him to set up his own quests. In his world housework doesn't ever need doing.) Besides, it just seems like a natural progression of this. No-one wants to give themselves quests, it takes the fun out of it. :p EDIT: On that note, facebook app of questtracker? Then I could give lots of people quests. With the possibility of real-money rewards via paypal? Ionno.
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM

One thing you could do is create a set of quests on your own computer, and then export that to a file which you then give to your boyfriend. It's clunky, but it is a way to get it done, all he has to do is import it into QuestTracker. However, an upcoming feature is a "portable" mode, where you can install the program to a thumbdrive and all the necessary files live there, enabling you to take your quests from computer to computer without being tied down to your own computer.

Eventually, quests might be optionally hosted "in the cloud," that is on a server somewhere, but there are a lot of extra considerations when you take what could potentially be very sensitive/important information and make it accessible from any computer with an internet connection. Long story short, I don't see it happening before 1.0.

As far as a Facebook app goes, I don't think that it's a bad idea, I just don't have an interest in developing for that platform. Incidentally, the program already does interact with PayPal, if you click "Help" and then "Donate..." :)

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM
I did notice the import/export buttons and considered doing it that way, but it was a bit too clunky. I am liking the portable mode idea though. That could work.

The facebook app was simply an easier way of doing things over the internet, and possibly just of getting more people involved. Pretty much the best advertising available these days. If you're not interested in developing for it - would you mind if I did? I'd give you credit for the idea with a link back here of course. :)
Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM
Edited May 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM
I don't have a problem with you (or any other author) developing any other products based on or interoperating with QuestTracker.